Duration: Can coincide with college semester (15-week internship, start and end dates flexible/depend on college)
Time Commitment: 10 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm (hours negotiable)
Salary: $15 per hour; can be used for college credit
Work Location: 2353 Rice St., Suite 240, Roseville, MN 55113 Work will be hybrid done remotely and in-person, with COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
Reports to: Ner Mu, Community Health Programs Supervisor
The Community Health Intern will work closely with the Community Health Programs Supervisor and Community Health Staff to support and expand KOM’s health programs through outreach, education, events, and research. This position offers the opportunity to acquire skills in several areas of community health education and event planning/research.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist program staff with preparing for educational workshops, including recruiting and following up with participants, and researching content
- Support program outreach activities and events
- Help program staff lead workshops when appropriate
- Provide walk-in services at KOM’s office for refugees to address needs including translation/interpreting, completing paperwork, and contacting other agencies for referrals and follow-up
The ideal candidate for this position will have an interest in community or public health and serving refugees from Burma in Minnesota. Qualifications include:
- Proficiency in Karen (spoken and written) preferred. Proficiency in Burmese, Karenni, Mon, or Thai and the ability to type in Karen are beneficial.
- Ability to speak and type English language at an intermediate level
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to manage projects on deadlines
- Ability to cooperate with KOM Staff and work in pairs
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
Please submit a résumé to: Suzanne Olive, Volunteer Coordinator
Address: Karen Organization of Minnesota
2353 Rice St., Suite 240
Roseville, MN 55113