Complete this form to receive updates and information on future training.
This free training program is for people who are interested in starting their interpreting career. The classes are in-person.
There are three levels of training. However, we will only be offering level 1 and level 2 for 2023.
The program may be a good fit for you if you:
- Want to work with a job counselor to set goals for your career.
- Want support to develop college academic skills.
- Are able to commit 2- 4 nights per week to classes and homework.
Level 1: Get Ready
Level 1 is an introduction to concepts and skills needed to be successful in the program.
Class meets two evenings per week for eight weeks. Homework is assigned weekly.
Level 2: The Community Interpreter 40-hour training
Complete 40 hours of training taught by Weaving Cultures to receive The Community Interpreter International certificate. A 40-hour credential is required by many employers before interpreting in medical settings.
Complete 8 hours of medical terminology training.
Class schedule is two evenings per week for 5 weeks or all–day sessions for 3 consecutive weekends.
- Able to commit to a rigorous training schedule 2-4 nights per week & complete independent assignments.
- Desire work as an interpreter and authorized to work in the United States. Underemployed; looking for work.
- Proficiency in speaking 2 or more languages; first language other than English.
- Have a high school diploma/adult diploma/GED (does not need to be from the US).
- Are at least 18 and not in high school during training.
- Are a Minnesota Resident
- Begin by learning more about the program and interpreting work to decide if this program is a good fit for you.
- Contact the Interpreter Training Program staff and complete an application to set up an interview.
- For accepted participants, attend Orientation Day on 04/29 to complete forms and send eligibility documents to program staff.
- Meet with program staff to develop a goal plan for training and your career.
- Start training!
Register by filling out our Career Trainings Interest Form