News and Events Archive: 2014
Join KOM and the Karen Community in celebrating Karen New Year 2753
Saturday, January 4th, 10:00am-3:00pm - Karen New Year Celebration
Location: Parkview Center School, 701 County Road B West, Roseville, MN 55113
KOM invites you to join us at the Karen New Year Celebration on Saturday, January 4, from 10:00am-3:00pm at Parkview Center School in Roseville. All are welcome to this free event organized by Karen community leaders.
Karen New Year is an important holiday celebrating unity and harmony through the past year and the year ahead. A full schedule of events includes:
- 10:00am-12:00pm - Main Program
- 10:00am-3:00pm - Community Resource Fair and Karen Food and Gift Vendors
- 1:00pm-3:00pm - Karen Don Dance Competition featuring teams from across the country
KOM also invites local businesses and organizations to support Karen New Year by becoming an event sponsor. Your generous sponsorship allows us to keep this event free and accessible to all attendees. As a sponsor, you will receive the following benefits:
- Htoo Wah (Platinum): $2,000 -a table reserved for your organization at the resource fair; your organization name and logo on the ceremony program schedule, KOM website, and official media release; recognition at the opening and closing ceremony; and opportunity to display your organization banner on the main stage during Karen New Year Celebration events
- Htoo (Gold): $1,000 - a table reserved for your organization at the resource fair; your organization name and logo on the ceremony program schedule, KOM website, and official media release; and verbal recognition at the opening and closing ceremony
- Say (Silver): $500 - a table reserved for your organization at the resource fair and business name on ceremony program schedule, KOM website, and official media release.
- Toe Baw (Bronze): $200 -a table reserved for your organization at the resource fair (number of tables limited to space available)
Celebrating Karen New Year 2753
January 4, 2014 marked this year's Karen New Year celebration at Parkview Center School in Roseville. Over 1,500 people ventured out this New Year, many of them in their finest traditional Karen attire. The school gym was packed with kids young and old, and both Karen and non-Karen families all out to celebrate Karen New Year.
THANK YOU TO OUR EVENT SPONSORS:
Htoo (Gold) Sponsor:
Hmong Village, Inc.
Say (Silver) Sponsors:
Heritage Home Healthcare
International Institute of Minnesota
Saturday, February 8, 10:00am-10:00pm - 67th Annual Karen National Day Celebration
Location: First Baptist Church, 499 Wacouta St., Saint Paul, MN 55101
Full Schedule of Events:
- 10:00am-12:00pm – Karen National Day Ceremony
- 1:00-4:00pm – Karen Language Debate Competition
- 6:00-10:00pm – National song competition
Karen National Day is an important occasion to honor Karen identity and the struggle for independence. The holiday commemorates the date on February 11, 1948, when about 10,000 Karen people organized a demonstration to demand a free state. The dispute has not been resolved to this day. Every year Karen people around the world celebrate Karen National Day by putting out their national flag and eating, singing, and dancing according to Karen national customs.
All are invited to attend this free event organized by the Karen Community of Minnesota. Please call Nay Htoo at (651)354-9768 or Marner Saw at (651)468-6375 with any questions about the event.
Download the flyer
Every Friday in February, 5:00pm-8:00pm - Free Tax Filing
Location: KOM, 1394 Jackson St., Suite 200, St. Paul, MN 55117
Come to KOM and get your taxes filed for FREE by trained professionals from the Minnesota Department of Revenue. Come to KOM to sign up now or call Laymu Paw at 651-202-3122.
Download the flyers in English or Karen
Seeds of Change Grant Contest-Voters Needed!
KOM is in the running to receive $10,000-$20,000 from Seeds of Change to support our community gardening program and we need your help! To vote, please follow this link or log onto the Seeds of Change website and search for our entry under "Refugee Restorative Gardening Project." Please vote once a day from now until April 21st and spread the word to your friends and family!
Friday May 23rd and Saturday May 24th, 7:00pm - Jungle2Jungle
Location: Griggs Playground, 1188 Hubbard Street, Saint Paul.
What: Jungle2Jungle, a collaboration between Dangerous Productions, the Karen Organization of Minnesota, and Fight or Flight Academy that tells the stories of Karen refugees’ journeys to Minnesota through movement.
Cost: $5/person, free for Karen people. Discounts available if we can use your car as an obstacle!
* Please bring your own lawn chair. Limited bathroom facilities on site.
Event: 64th Annual Karen Martyrs Day Celebration
When: August 15, 16 & 17, 9am-6pm
Where: Mississippi Elementary School Soccer Field
1575 L'Orient Street, St. Paul, MN 55117
Cost to attend: Free!
Contact: Nay Htoo (651)354-9768, Marner Saw (651)468-6375 or Eh Wah (763)587-1491
The resource fair for this event will take place on Saturday, August 16th from 10am-4pm. If your organization would like to sponsor a table, please contact one of the above coordinators. The fee for sponsoring a table is $200. Please make checks out to Karen Organization of Minnesota and send to:
Attn: Maureen Rafferty
Karen Organization of Minnesota
1394 Jackson Street, Suite 200
St. Paul, MN 55117
Vendors can contact Nay Htoo, Marner Saw, or Eh Wah.
View site map
Contact us for more information